BGCI Member: No
About the Alcsúti Arboretum
The Alcsúti Arboretum is probably the most original landscape garden in Hungary. It is situated next to the village of Alcsútdoboz in Fejér county, 40 kms SW from Budapest, between the M1 and the M7 motorways in the magnificent Valley of Vál along the 811 main road.
This tranquil 100 acre (ca. 40 hectares) garden was founded by the Habsburgs in the 1820s, when Joseph Palatin had one of Hungary's most attractive classicist-style palaces erected. The park was designed by Carl Tost – a gardener master at Schönbrunn, in Austria – and several hundred exotic and indigenous species of plants were planted.
In 1872 a wonderful Palm House – designed by Miklós Ybl – was attached to the palace and a watering system was created, and the fountain of an arthesian well supplied the lake with crystal clear water from a depth of 123 metres.
The rare collection of trees and shrubs is a nature protected arboretum, and is part of the National Heritage. The park is open to the public and provides different programmes all year round. There are more than 600 taxa that can be studied.
The chapel is home for wedding ceremonies, concerts and different exhibitions.
The Alcsút Botanic Garden is open every day (except stormy weather) from 10 am until sunset.
Groups can ask for guided tours in any languages. (registration one week in advance if other than English or German)
Registration per mail email@example.com or call+36 20 424 8995
Primary Email: firstname.lastname@example.org