BGCI Member: No
About the Berrington Hall
The fine gardens directly around the mansion were first developed by the 6th Lord Rodney and his wife Sarah in the 1840s, in accordance with mid-19th-century fashion for laurel walks and specimen trees and plants. Around 1900 the 1st Lord Cawley bought the estate and planted the avenue of golden yews which leads the visitor from the Triumphal Arch to the mansion. A wonderful walled garden to the right of this path contains the National Collection of Historic Hereford and Marches Apples, many of which are no longer in cultivation. In May an ancient and glorious Wisteria blooms here. There are many beautiful azaleas and rhododendrons in the Woodland Walk, planted by the 3rd Lord Cawley, and many other unusual plants and trees including a rare yellow-flowered marrow (Thladiantha oliveri). Berrington Hall is set in a splendid 18th-century landscape designed by Capability Brown.
Herefordshire HR6 0DW United Kingdom